It’s been a year.
Ever have those years where you know where you want to be, but can’t get there because… doing stuff takes time? That’s kinda how this past year has been. I’ve been waiting for things. I’m still waiting for things, and my list of goals from last year is only partially accomplished. But you know what? That’s okay. I have different goals for the coming year. And even though the past year has been long and sometimes hard, it’s also been fruitful.
- Tyler finished his certificate in software development (know anyone who’s hiring? Let me know, he’s super smart)!
- I finished Flame of Burnt Brandy! I had to push my writing abilities to the limit to finish it, but I did, and I’m really proud of the result. I think it’s the best thing I’ve ever written.
- I learned to recite the phrase, “a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.” It’s great to help people. It’s not great to burn yourself out doing it.
- I’ve started watercolors and am finishing up a paint-by-number. Having a creative outlet (where it doesn’t matter if it’s good or not!) is helping me relax and also stay off my phone.
- I read more poetry and have expanded my collection.
- I read more literary/upmarket fiction and reminded myself what it is to love a book so much I’ll stay up late to finish it (look for another post soon on my favorite books of 2018).
For 2019? I’m not sure what will happen. But I hope to have some exciting personal/writing developments to share soon. Meanwhile, I want to keep eating well, exercising regularly, and making time for self-care. I’m also hoping that 2019 will be the year where I write things that sing.
I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year. Keep making goals. Make new goals when you don’t accomplish those goals. Don’t stop goaling.